Home > All Tips > Microsoft Office Tips
Error 1706 When Installing Office 2000
Most of the time installing software on a computer running Windows is pretty easy and straightforward. Then again, sometimes you will get errors and the message in the error may not be too clear as to what the problem may be and you will have to do a little troubleshooting.
When trying to install Office 2000 on a computer running Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0, you may be prompted to insert your Microsoft Office 2000 CD and then may receive the following error messages:
Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft Office 2000 Premium. The Windows installer cannot continue.
Microsoft Office 2000 Installation: Fatal Error
Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
Fatal error during installation.
This may be caused by several things:
- You have attempted to use a feature that is not installed on your computer, but the feature is set to be installed on first use, or you run Office 2000 Setup and choose to either repair or reinstall Office 2000.
- When Office 2000 Setup runs, you have the wrong CD is in your drive. For example, if you are running Microsoft Office 2000 CD1 Setup, CD2 is in your drive.
- When you are prompted to insert the correct CD, you remove the incorrect CD; insert the correct CD, and then click Ok.
- Version 1.1 of the Windows Installer is installed on your computer.
- This problem can also occur if you attempt to use clip art that is stored on the Office 2000 CD2, when CD2 is not in your drive.
To fix this problem, follow these steps:
1. Close all of the error messages.
2. Leave the correct Office 2000 CD in your computer's drive.
3. Start Microsoft Office 2000 Setup either by attempting to use the install on first use component that you previously attempted to use, or by running Office 2000 Setup from the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel. You can also attempt to use the clip art that you previously attempted to use.
If the correct CD is in the drive when the Windows Installer starts running, the problem will not occur.
Not Enough Memory Message When You Start Word or Excel 2000
Error occurred when using spell checker in Outlook 2000
You Get an Error 1921 Message When You Try to Install Office 2003