Home > All Tips > Microsoft Office Tips
Not Enough Memory Message When You Start Word or Excel 2000
Error messages are a way of life when it comes to Windows and Windows software. You just need to hope that the message given does a good job of explaining what the problem is so you can go about fixing it. Microsoft Office has its share of error messages too for various events and they may be hard to diagnose without more information.
There is a bug with Microsoft Office 2000 that may give you one of the following messages when you try to open Microsoft Word or Excel.
Not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel.
Not enough memory or disk space to run Microsoft Word.
This can happen if any one or more of the following files are corrupted:
• Msoffice.exe (you may not necessarily have this file on your system)
Here is how you fix this problem:
First you need to rename the Mso9intl.dll, Msohelp.exe, and Msoffice.exe files to Mso9intl.old, Msohelp.old, and Msoffice.old.
1. To find these files open My Computer or Windows Explorer, right click on your C drive and select Search or Find (depending on your version of Windows).
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type mso9intl.dll, and then click Search Now.
3. In the Search Results list, right-click Mso9intl.dll, and then click Rename.
4. Type mso9intl.old, and then press enter.
5. Do the same for the Msohelp.exe and Msoffice.exe files
Then you need to reinstall Office 2000
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Or click on Start then Control Panel depending on your version of Windows.
2. Double click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
3. If you are running Windows 95, 98, ME or NT, click Microsoft Office 2000 on the Install/Uninstall tab, and then click Add/Remove.
If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, click Microsoft Office 2000 in the Currently installed programs list in the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, and then click Change.
4. In the Microsoft Office 2000 Maintenance Mode dialog box, click Repair Office.
5. In the Reinstall/Repair Microsoft Office 2000 dialog box, click Reinstall Office, and then click Finish.
Microsoft Excel Tips
Changing Your Word Options
Error 1706 When Installing Office 2000
Internal Error 2336 or 2755 When Installing Office 2000