|Home > All Tips > Microsoft Windows
Create a Windows XP Password Reset Disk
Password management is an essential part of owning a computer since they are used for so many things and forgetting them or giving them out can have devastating effects. Forgetting your login password can be a real issue if you don't have any other administrative accounts on that computer that you can use to log in with and change your other password with.
If you’re using Windows XP in a standalone or workgroup environment, you can create a password reset disk to recover your local password so you are able to log onto your computer if you forget your password.
To create the password reset disk, do the following:
1. Click Start, then Control Panel, or Start, Settings, Control Panel and then click User Accounts.
2. Click your account name.
3. Under Related Tasks, click Prevent a forgotten password.
4. Follow the directions in the Forgotten Password Wizard to create a password reset disk.
5. Make sure to keep the disk in a secure place.
To use the password reset disk, do the following:
1. When you get to the Windows logon screen, click your username.
2. The Type your password box appears. Press enter. You will receive the following error message:
Did you forget your password?
You can click the "?" button to see your password hint.
Or you can use your password reset disk.
Please type your password again.
Be sure to use the correct uppercase and lowercase letters.
3. Click use your password reset disk. The Password Reset Wizard starts.
4. Click Next.
5. Insert the password reset disk, and then click Next.
6. Type a new password in the Type a new password box and in the confirm box.
7. In the Type a new password hint box, type a hint to remind you of your password if you forget the new password if you want to use one. Keep in mind that anyone can guess at your hint.
8. Click Next, and then Finish.
9. Type your new password in the Type your password box.
The password reset disk is automatically updated with the new password information so you don’t need to create a new password reset disk.
Forgotten login password