Windows Questions and Answers - Cannot Access Control Panel - netsetup.cpl error
Michael writes in with a Windows question:
Question: When I attempt to access my Control Panel, I get an error message which reads "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\\WINNT\\system32\\netsetup.cpl. This freezes up my computer. Can you tell me how to correct this?
Answer: Do you by any chance have a program called Visual IP InSight by Visual Networks? It may be installed if you use Verizon or SBC DSL. If so try this out.
1. Go to Start then Control Panel or Start, Settings Control Panel and then open Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click Visual IP InSight in the Add or Remove Programs list, and then click Remove.
3. In the Confirm File Deletion dialog box, click Yes.
If you need to keep Visual IP program you can disable it from starting up:
1. Click on Start, then Run and type msconfig and click Ok
2. Select the Startup tab.
3. Clear the Startup Item box for IPMon32.exe and click Ok.
4. Shutdown and restart Windows.