No software is perfect and from time to time you will get an error when trying to start one of your applications. Microsoft Office is no stranger to error messages and the Office programs have their fair share of errors when running them or when even trying to open of the programs. Many times the error messages are not clear as to what the cause of the problem is and you will have to do some research to see if you can fine out the reason for the error.
You may have received one of the Compile Error in Hidden Module AutoExec or DistMon errors when starting Word or Excel depending on the following situations:
The Microsoft Office Startup folder or the Microsoft Excel Startup folder contains either, or both, of the following Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker add-in template files:
Pdfmaker.dot and/or Pdfmaker.xla
You may also get this error if you have Norton AntiVirus installed.
To fix this error try the following solutions:
1. Download the latest version of the add-in for Adobe Acrobat 5.0
2. Move the Pdfmaker.dot file and the Pdfmaker.xla file from the Office or Excel Startup folder to a different folder on your hard disk.(Steps may vary depending on your version of Windows and Office)
- Click on Start, Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- In the Search for file or folders named box, type pdfmaker.dot pdfmaker.xla.
- In the Look In box, click the C drive and then click Search Now.
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup (Word 2000)
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup (Word 2002)
- C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
The Pdfmaker.xla file in located in one of the following folders:
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Xlstart (Excel 2000)
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Xlstart (Excel 2002)
- C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Xlstart
3. In the Search Results window, right-click the file for each file that is found, and then click Cut.
4. On your desktop, right-click the My Documents folder, and then click Paste. You can also paste them in a different location if you wish.